This is probably the easiest dish that Mom made that I can make. With only seven ingredients, you can make a pot full of dish that can be consumed during lunch for two persons.
Clear Spinach Soup
- 4 bundle of spinach
- 4 clove of shallot
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 log of corn (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 500 mL water
- cooking tongs
- 2 pots (to make the clear soup and boil the spinach)
- cutting board
How to Make:
- dispose the skin of the shallot and garlic
- wash and clean spinach, corn, shallot, and garlic
- dispose the damaged part of the spinach
If the leaf has tiny dark circles on them, or the stem has bruises on it, get rid of it. Whatever ugly part of the vegetable that you find, dispose it into the trash can.
- cut the corn into small logs, or shred them with knife
Either way, or both way, will do. Mom prefer to do both way because it's more fun that way.
When you have prepared all of the ingredients, we then proceed to make the clear soup, followed by boiling the spinach.
My Mom usually cook the clear soup and the spinach separately, so that the dish will have an excellent presentation. If she cook the spinach and the soup all together, then the color of the soup will be transparent green from the spinach. Mom doesn't fancy a green soup.
- put one pot on the stove, turn the fire within medium heat, and pour the water into the pot
- put both shallot and garlic into the water, along with salt and sugar
- put the corn into the mixture and cook until it boils
It usually takes around 10 minutes until the mixture is boiled. When the corn logs are nicely cooked, and the clear soup tasted sweet and nice, you can turn off the stove and let it cool a bit.
- put a new pot on another stove and boil the spinach for 5 minutes
You can use the cooking tongs to stir and lift the spinach up. Make sure you boil the spinach in low heat. If the fire is too big, then the spinach will be over cooked and get all mushy.
A nicely boiled spinach is the one with bright, yet deep and strong, green color and firm, but soft, stem.
- when the spinach is nicely boiled, drench them with the colanders
- when the clear soup is done, and the spinach is boiled, combine them together in a bowl accordingly and serve it for lunch
And there you have it folks, a bowl Clear Spinach Soup for lunch!